Thursday, July 27, 2006

Alberta Trip


Well it has almost been a week since Steph and I got back from Alberta and I've just started to sort through our pictures.
We had a really great time. We spent most of our time in Drumheller where we took in all of the touristy activities like hiking through the badlands, going to the hoo doo's, checking out the world's biggest dino statue, the world's smallest church (they actually have weddings in there), going to the Royal Tyrell musuem, and visiting this old coal mine which has been turned into a historical site.









The two highlights of the trip had to be the Calgary Stampede and the Nanton Alberta Lancaster Aviation Museum. The Stampede was amazing, it was something I've always wanted to do. The day that we went 250 000 people walked through the gates and it was kind of like a huge party. We got tickets to the rodeo, which was alot of fun. They had all the classic events such as steer wrestling, tie down roping, barrel racing, bronco riding (saddle and bare back), and of course the highlight of the show, bull riding. None of our action pictures turned out, the shutterspeed on the camera wasn't fast enough and they were all blurry. It was awesome. I really left wanting to be a cowboy myself, yet I resisted the urge to drop $80 on a cowboy hat.

In the evening we got tickets to the chuck wagon races and the grandstand show. The chuck wagon races were very exciting, the speed, the thundering of the horses hooves. The grandstand show was kind of cheesy but the fireworks at the end of the night were amazing.

The day after the Stampede Steph's Dad and I dropped Steph and her Mom off at the Chinook Center in Calgary for a day of shopping while we drove on to the small town of Nanton where they have a musuem dedicted to my favorite heavy bomber of World War II, the Avro Lancaster. They had other aircraft there as well but the highlight was the Lanc, which I had never before seen in person (the National Aviation Musuem in Ottawa has a replica of the cockpit but this was the real thing). It was massive, much bigger than I expected and we were actually allowed to go inside, awesome! We had to wear hard hats because the ceiling was so low

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Deanne said...

hey! well I really like the pictures you took from your trip. I will have to take a look at the rest of them next time I am over at your house. I think one of my fav's is you in the airplane :) What kind is it? or is that a dumb question? haha

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Curt said...

All of the pictures except the one in my first blog are of the Lancaster (I thought I made that clear, I guess not). The first is of the cockpit from the outside, the second is from the inside at the rear looking toward the cockpit, and the two of me are actually in the gun turret (one from inside, one from outside)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home