Thursday, August 03, 2006

PS2 Meltdown



So the last couple of days my PS2 has not been starting properly. 9 times out of 10 when I turn it on the game disc clicks and a "Disc Read Error" message appears on the screen. Needless to saw this is pretty worrying for me, as playing video games occupies much of my time.

I went to the Internet troubleshooting forums and found that this is a pretty common problem for systems 2 or more years old. They suggest opening it up and cleaning all the dust and dirt out of the inside and on the lens directly. They give pretty easy to follow step by step instructions but warn if you touch this or pull this wire etc. etc. you can kiss your playstation goodbye because even Sony couldn't fix it once you do that. I could send it to Sony to fix it, but of course it is no longer covered by warranty and will cost about $150 US (you can almost get a new one now for that). Although I have a pretty steady hand (painting the details on all those model aircraft isn't easy) I am pretty terrified at the concept of opening that baby up. I really have no idea what I'm going to do but I can totally understand being addicted to something (like Internet) because I am going up the walls, totally bored. Maybe my brother has opened up his PS2 before. It's worth a try.

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Deanne said...

I just wanted to say not only was it educational, it was also very entertaining watching you and your brother work together to fix your playstation :) And to be honest I was actually surprised that it worked, but it is a good thing that it did :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Curt said...

I never had any doubt that we could perform a complex operation like that and get that Playstation working again (OK, maybe a little)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home