Sunday, September 10, 2006

I Got A Job. . . Now What?

What A whirlwind the last couple of days have been. On Thursday I applied to a what was then a full time LD contract for a Grade 1/2 split at Austin Road Elementary, where of course I did my long practicum. It didn't say how long the contract was for but I was expecting a 3-6 months type of thing. On Friday night the new principal of the school phoned me and set up an interview for Saturday morning at 10:45. The interview went very well, alot more casual and laid back then I was expecting. I got along well with the principal and he seemed to like the fact that I had done my practicum there and knew the staff and the school.

He said that on the first day of school there was a large influx on unregistared kids who just showed up unexpectedly and on Wednesday they made the decision to make a new class which was now a straight Grade 2 and hire a new teacher for the whole year. On Friday the class came together for the first time with a sub, who would be there again on Monday so the successful canditate could prepare. He mentioned that he was interviewing twelve people for the job and that I would find out regardless on Sunday so you can imagine my surprise when the District office phoned at 4:00 and offered me the job. I was on cloud nine the rest of the day and my friends and family were so excited for me. When I laid down last night to go to bed reality struck and I started to get really freaked out and completly overwhelmed-what am I going to do with them next week?

I went in to the school today and there were afew teachers there, including Heather (my cooperating teacher) , and everyone was so happy for me. I got to check out my portable (oh yeah, did I forget to mention that) and it's not great, kind of cramped, but once I moved things around and we put some art or something on the walls it will be a little more tolerable. Heather has already been a huge help with ideas and resources and I feel alittle less nervous about the coming week (alittle less)

1 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger CM said...

Congratulations Curt! Steph just told us the news a few minutes ago. I am starting Blogs for all of my students. They are grade 4/5. Your grade 2's might be to little yet.

Great Blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home