Wednesday, September 20, 2006

New Job: Week 2

I know it has been along time since I have written a post but things have been pretty crazy the last week and a half. My first week was so overwhelming, at times I felt like I was drowning as more and more things I had to do kept piling on top of my with no end in sight. I was completely exhausted after each day yet I lied awake at night thinking of all the things I needed to do. On a brighter note, I have a great class. The kids are really nice and well behaved for the most part. I'm down to 19 (one boy already moved this week), 9 girls and 10 boys and we are getting pretty good at remembering classroom routines which is making things easier.

I got alot of work done on the weekend, which enabled me to start my spelling program and my math program this week. This has helped alot and I'm not scambling as much this week trying to find things for them to do all day. The portable is starting to look more like a classroom. I was given some posters, borders, bulletin board stuff, and we have got some art and work on the walls since tomorrow is Open House. I'm alittle nervous about meeting the parents, but the few I've met so far have been really nice and easy to get along with, so that's encouraging.

On Friday I get the morning off which is payback for the two weeks of prep time I have missed so far. My principal has tried to get somebody at the school to take my two 45 min. prep periods but with no luck. So today he phoned human resources and requested a .1 contract so I would get my prep for the week all in one afternoon while someone comes in to do art or maybe music (even though I would love to do music myself, ha ha).

I'm starting to see a light glimmer at the end of a long tunnel after a tough week and I'm feeling better and better everyday as my confidence grows. I've got a great support team and everyone has told me that all first year teachers feel that way sometimes. Looking forward to next week.

3 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger The McLeod's said...

hey curt glad to hear you're enjoying it. i'm building some boxhockey boxes for the school. have you played before?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Curt said...

No, I don't think so. What's boxhockey?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Deanne said...

Curt... I just have to say it again.. I am so proud of you! It sounds like you are settling in and getting comfortable in the classroom.. And I am glad to hear that they are hopefully going to work something out for you for your prep time.. Although it really will be a shame if another teacher taught your class music. I know how much you love to sing.. and/or dance :) Anyway best of luck and keep the teaching stories coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home